Course Entry Requirements
Each Level of Qualification has a specific entry requirement. Prior to booking onto a course, check you meet the criteria for entry.
All applicants for courses must hold a full individual membership of one of the home nations prior to applying for a place.
This is to ensure you hold the correct insurance required for your coaching qualification. your application will be delayed without this.
Associate membership does not give this insurance cover.
No pre-requisites, minimum age 16 years. A basic understanding of triathlon is useful but not essential.
Candidates will have either completed a Level 1 Triathlon Qualification or meet the following criteria for Direct Entry.
- Have a least 1 years involvement in triathlon (Training/ Racing/ Volunteering/ Coaching)
- Understand the basic technical components of triathlon (Swim/ Bike/ Run)
- Minimum age 18 years
- A formal coaching qualification in any sport ( including a level 1 triathlon qualification) this should ideally be UKCC ( 2005 onwards(
- A further or higher education qualification in sport (BTEC or Degree)
- A teaching qualification (PGSE) and have delivered PE/sport/ excercise science
- Have been coaching/ supporting in coaching triathlon- across all disciplines (unofficially) for at least a year, with a minimum of 30 group or club sessions attended.
- A fitness industry qualification (level 3 or equivelent Award)- with experience of coaching in sport
- Have been formally coached in triathlon for a period of at least 2 years. This only applies to candidates who have been part of Triathlon England or British Triathlon programmes ( Talent Programme/ Paratriathlon/ Elite)
What will I be expected to know on day 1?
- how to prepare a basic session plan
- understanding of athlete safety and welfare ( including risk assessment)
- have the key coaching skills ( the how to coach)
- experience of actual delivery in a live environment
- Understanding of the technicalities of triathlon across all disciplines
You will be required to provide evidence of your skils/ experience and you will be screened by course tutors.
You will be contacted by phone and asked a number of questions to verify the level of your knowledge. You will not be able to enter at level 2 unless your complete and pass this process.
We strongly recommend that only those people who fully meet the requirements and expectations should use direct entry. All others should start at level 1.
We cannot support candidates who do not meet these expectations. If you have any questions, please contact coach education for guidance
Conditions for Direct Entry
Candidates who select Level 2 Direct Entry, will be required to pay additional fees for reassessment if they dont meet the standards required. Fees will be determined by the reassessment required.
The following are the minimum entry requirements for Level 3, this information will be recorded on the Application Form, and will be verified as part of the induction process.
- Hold a British Triathlon or UKCC Level 2 Coaching Triathlon certificate
- Minimum 60 hours logged coaching - from completion of Level 2. Across all three disciplines ( min 20 hours each), over a period of at least 1 year.
- Minimum of 2 years of coaching experience
- Reference from Senior Coach or Club Chair
- Record of personal development since Level 2 (e.g. CPD)