During 2017 we have seen the roll out of the Tri Activator Award courses. The Tri Activator Awards are opportunities for motivated volunteers who provide people with the opportunity to take part and stay involved in sporting activity.
An activator could quite simply be anyone - an interested parent, spouse, sibling, an active triathlete, a qualified coach or Technical Official. Activators may take on a variety of roles depending on their environment, ranging from welcoming people to organising activities and leading the activity (not coaching it). The common theme is that Activators provide training opportunities for participants in an inspirational fun social manner, leading them to return to the sessions again and again.
There are three Tri Activator Awards; Community, Open Water and Young Person.
Community Tri Activator:
To provide passionate and enthusiastic individuals (18+ years of age) with the confidence and skills to lead a variety of activities aimed at encouraging participation within the sport.
There are three important key strands to this role, all of which can be rewarding and will enhance participation and enjoyment of triathlon for all.
- To organise and lead safe, effective and inclusive triathlon training activities and experiences (cycling & running).
- To inform, inspire and cultivate connections in their local clubs and communities, with initiatives such as GO TRI.
- Act as a ‘coach support worker’, helping the Head Coach during sessions (e.g. setting up and take down equipment, taking timing splits, writing the session on the white board etc.)
Open Water Tri Activator:
The Open Water Tri Activator course is very similar in rationale to the Community Tri Activator course but is specifically designed around supporting organised open water swimming sessions in approved venues. The Open Water Activator course will be heavily focused around safety and risk management and supporting open water swimmers.
The course is designed to help inform and educate individuals wishing to support safe open water swimming across the UK. It is valuable role for every open water swim venue, as the activator is a key person that helps oversee the safe running of the swim sessions, develop relationships and implement practicalities before, during and after any swim session.
Young Person Tri Activator:
The Young Person Tri Activator course will provide young people (aged 14-17) with the opportunity to gain the skills and confidence to lead and assist in the delivery of triathlon sessions and grow participation in their local club, school, or community group.
Young Activators will develop the skills to:
- Assist a coach with the set up and running of club activities.
- Lead sessions under the supervision of a coach or PE teacher. This might involve helping to organise an activity within a session i.e a transition skills challenge, leading the warm-up/warm down, splitting athletes into groups in preparation for the session.
- Assist in wider club or school triathlon activities such as volunteering or helping to organise GO TRI events or other competitions.
For more information and to find courses near you please visit the Activator web pages at www.britishtriathlon.org/activators